Week 6, 7, and 8: I Can't Believe I'm Almost Done

 Not much has happened in the last few weeks. We've been doing work for like three different professors, and I can't really remember when we did what. We worked on a pollinator survey at Sparks Farm, which is a gorgeous piece of land that Juniata was so graciously given. We set out almost 300 sticky traps to see what insects and bugs were there before they make some changes to the land. There were so many that we're still trying to work through them and ID them, which is rough when you know nothing about insects.



It was super hot and sunny on the day we set them up and even when we took them down, and I got sunburnt, but it was actually a ton of fun.

At the complete opposite side of the spectrum, we've also been helping at the JC Field Station. We helped build a new shed (made of metal so the porcupines can't eat it).


I think that despite none of us being very good at building things, we did a really good job. I think it looks good.
Also at the station I got the opportunity to be kind of like an ambassador? I guess for lack of a better term, for some incoming freshmen. I was there to tell them about classes and professors and just generally give them any student insight into what life is like at Juniata. In another light, I didn't have to go cut weeds out of fencing (sorry to my coworkers who got their arms scratched to hell and back!)

We're still working on collecting crayfish and working with woodrats. This week we're actually supposed to be doing a lot of data entry, which will be nice but I am definitely going to get bored quick. Hopefully the week goes fast, but not too fast! I only have like two weeks left and I don't want my summer to be over at all. This experience has been some of the most fun I've ever had.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5: Not a Lot to Say

Getting Settled In

Week 4: Turtles Turtles Turtles!